Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Managing Alzheimer's And Dementia Behaviors

I was recently blessed to receive a copy of "Managing Alzheimer's And Dementia Behaviors" from Gary Joseph LeBlanc.  I do have to say I was very intrigued by it and was very interested.  If you have about and hour and half with no kids around and peace and quiet, this is a good book to keep you interested.

I for one have never had the experience of being close to a person who has/had Alzheimer's disease.  I have heard and read about others who has but never had a clear picture.  I do understand that the story is the case about LeBlanc's father and Alzheimer's effects every person differently.  Some of the ideas though from this book could be helpful for any person.

One thing that does stick out from my mind is the wrist band idea in the hospital.  When I gave birth to my daughter, I was told what colors to look for badges coming in and out of the room and I bet they told every person who came in and out of the maternity ward.

LeBlanc states in his story that patients are often moved different rooms while in a hospital and sometimes the patient with Alzheimer's doesn't even remember eating breakfast that morning.  You can't tell physically whether a patient has Alzheimer's just by looking at them.  If a patient wears this certain band, it lets staff know this client has Alzheimer's and to approach them in a different manner.  The band to let staff is a white band with "Alert Advocate" in purple lettering, helping to make the hospital stay a little less stressful.  The "Advocate" on the bracelets let the staff know that the patient should not be answering any medical questions and to seek the care-giver, family member, ect. for such information.

I honestly do believe in reading this book, I caught more of a glimpse what a person with Alzheimer's does and it was written in a style that was more story like instead of your average boring non-fiction.  I don't care for too much non-fiction.  I can honestly say this is my first time reading a book about Alzheimer's in this writing style.  The author is one worth keeping an eye on.



No comments:

Post a Comment