Thursday, January 19, 2012

Variety of Food

As a parent, I want Savanna to like different kinds of vegetables that include things like broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower and carrots.  I get tired of having corn all the time which is Izabella's favorite and sometimes, I don't care to have peas and green beans because it seems like that is all Izabella will eat with the less complaining.  You see, when Izabella doesn't like a certain thing, she will eat the thing she likes the most first and then say she is full.  

I have to say I like my vegetables.  I like broccoli and cauliflower the most and then carrots.  I prefer vegetables over meat and I can say I prefer chicken over beef or pork.  I'm trying to adept the rule of it is something I am willing to eat then my child can.  When I shop for baby food for Savanna, I look for variety and different/unique things.  I have tried to find broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini.  I did find at one time something with zucchini in it and I can't think of where I found it.  I just remember that it was stage 3 which Savanna was not ready for at the time.

The problem I run into with trying to find different foods is where I can find them.  Gerber I have notice does not make mango, pears and pineapple, prunes or stuff mixed with cherries.  It is kind of a disappointment for Gerber is suppose to the top name brand.  The one that is suppose to be the "best" for your child.  

The disappointment comes next when I have to run to 5 grocery stores to get exactly what I want.  I have found in my search for food that Target Up and Up gets first place for the cheapest puffs.  I saw some for a $1.57.  Pretty cheap and has blueberry and sweet potatoes.  There are a couple of other flavors but I don't remember which ones.  Hy-Vee comes in next with a price of about $1.69 to a $1.89.  I have gotten the flavors of strawberry and apple and banana.  I have yet to get Walmart's Parent's Choice. I'm normally stocked on puffs by the time I get a chance to run to Walmart.

It wasn't until recently I found a grocery store that is farther away that had mac and cheese in a jar.  I honestly hate buying the plastic containers even though I think you may get more in them over the jar.  I like the jar because if need to be, I mix everything I need in the jar and not have a melted ring around the container when microwaved.  I think it is the OCD in me that makes that ring annoying and plus of the that fact my daughter's tiny body is getting some of that in her.  Course who is to say that she doesn't get that from the other plastic containers I may heat her food in, but I don't want to think about it and those containers don't leave the line showing the evidence.  

As any adult, I'm assuming most like to have variety in their diet but also as a healthy one, we should have a variety of vegetables and unique, good things in our diet.  It is a trait that I want to pass on to Savanna.  I also want her to be able to try new things and be open to trying new foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment